Sir William Bruce’s masterplan for the estate was committed to paper by his trusted draughtsman Alexander Edward in 1685.

Mr Fothergill's new vision for the gardens was inspired by the rigours and grace of the original Bruce composition, reintroducing a level of geometric order to the landscape while allowing the present day drama of space, sky and horizon to retain its impact. Lost axes have been defined once again, existing lines have been sharpened with major new plantings transforming the walled garden through the reintroduction of the noble craft of fruit cultivation and the creation of new contemporary parterres.